Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Benched and Broken

It happened. Saracen was benched. It makes football sense, even if isn't what Coach's heart wanted him to do. He has an obligation to everyone on the team to win games, and JD helps them accomplish that in the most straightforward manner — he throws the football really, really far and it lands exactly where it is supposed to. I weep for Saracen though. I want so much for him to have a happy, peaceful, albeit fictional I realize, life. His mother is here now though, so maybe she is one door opening, while another closes. I'm waiting to find out that JD steals or snorts or something though, because I. do. not. feel. that. kid. No, I don't.

Julie gets a tatoo, which sends Coach and Tami off the deep end. I understand that this is upsetting to parents and I hope that if my kids choose to get tattoos, they hide them from me, but really, it's just a tattoo. It's not track marks. The reality, so far anyway, is that Julie is the girl with a slightly bad attitude and a few down-market friends, that still gets As and does all the reading. This is part of the reason that her character isn't all the interesting. I don't worry about what is going to become of her. I liked Tami's pep talk though. I like the image of her and Coach dragging one another out of chaos to a happy life, back when they were kids. 

Tami's real worry is Tyra. Our little striver, isn't striving so much anymore. She's nose-diving in school and getting in deeper with Mr. Rodeo, who is definitely a pill enthusiast. I guess hanging out with Riggins and her mother all of her life, has made her blind to people with substance abuse issues. Tami gives Tyra a talking to about the direction of her life and love, but before she gets a chance to let it sink in, Mr. Rodeo whisks her off — mid-school day — to a barn to see a freshly born baby calf. That old trick. It totally works and she swears to Tami that Mr. Rodeo is rainbows and sunshine. This isn't going to be good.

As for Jason Street, he is still working at the car dealership, and his baby and baby mama Erin, are not living with him. He is still living with Herc, which is pretty funny. I have never understood why Jason didn't go to college, maybe I missed an episode if someone wants to fill me in. His plan to flip Buddy's house is pretty pathetic considering the economy and the team of geniuses he has assembled to help him, although I am happy that he and Riggins are still friends. Man, does Jason have Buddy's number. He knows you can't appeal to the man's conscience or heart or morals, because he has none, but remind him that you were once a great football player and he gives in. Nevermind, that you are now in a wheelchair with a new baby and few prospects. Buddy needs to get caught in bed with JD. I kid. Ish.

Erin went back East, so the house thing didn't really get her attention the way  Jason had hoped. Maybe they will make a killing. Maybe doing anything with Billy Riggins ends in disaster. We'll see. 

I wouldn't mind a little Lila/Riggins action, um, tomorrow (sorry this recap is so late!) and I'm not the least bit surprised that Tyra's Mr. Rodeo has a very angry ex knocking on Tyra's door.

In blogging news: Another FNL recap, a bit of Oscar talk and that long awaited chip review. I'm building a real excitement for it I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment