Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Coffee, please

I am in a deadly post-playdate, 6:15, tired fog right now. I haven't started dinner and I just snoozed through the part of Super Why! that explains why the story had to change. Although even when I'm awake I can't figure out why they have to change a perfectly good story to solve a very easy problem, but I'm not 4 either. I am however 14, and Gossip Girl killed last night!
Well, let's back up. It didn't so much kill as satisfy my desire to see Serena and Dan back together. What can I say? I'm a shipper.* I like the central couple to be together. Sure I get bored and annoyed with them and then annoyed when the show splits them up and then excited when they get back together. This is what my shows ask of me and for them I will do anything. It's really irrelevant anyway, since they will have to break up again soon, because of the Lily/Rufus love-child, who I think is going to turn out to belong to someone other than Rufus. Even Chuck disapproved of dating someone with whom you share a sibling and as much as I tried to rationalize this, it would be be very odd.

I have never particularly cared for the way any 'teen' show has handled teen pregnancy. From the convenient miscarriage of Julia Salinger to Andrea Zuckerman's inexplicable (for her character) decision to marry Jesse and keep her baby and now the rage at Lily for giving her son up for adoption. How about empathy instead of anger? Is Rufus really so unaware of who he was at 18 as to think he would have taken the child from her and raised it himself? And for all his righteous monologuing about being parent of the year, he just took off with Lily and left Dan and recently-homeless and unschooled Jenny to their own devices for an unspecified amount of time. Nice. And I know I will probably hate the addition of the love-child to the cast, because I almost always hate new characters. Good riddance, Aaron!

I brazenly referred to Dan and Serena as the central couple, when I know many would argue that title for Blair and Chuck. I will admit that I am a latecomer to Bluck or Chair or whatever it is their 'Net posse has no doubt dubbed them. I found last season's Chuck silly and unbelievable and Blair paled next to her blond Goddess of a bff. But this season, I would say that they are more than the central couple (sorry Danrena/San fans), they are the heart and soul of the show. They manage to be conniving, hilarious, sexy and heartbreaking. When Blair pulled Chuck off that ledge, every 14-year-old girl in America longed for the day that they could be that there for their own alcoholic, CEO, dandy-dressing high school boyfriend. Modern day Heathcliff, hanging out on rooftops instead of moors. It didn't turn out so well for Cathy, but Blair has better resources.

Next week we find out what happened with Blair and Uncle Jack on New Year's. I sense a Three's Company-like misunderstanding in the works.

I told you I loved Gossip Girl. xoxo

* TV-watcher obsessed with couples or relationships.
** Party of Five. I think Julia actually had the miscarriage on the way to get an abortion.
*** 90210 - The Original. I think for awhile Andrea wasn't even sure who the father was! Talk about forgetting a character's character.

No comments:

Post a Comment